Monday 3 December 2012

How many modern "stars" can REALLY WRESTLE!

Something that I tend to get passionate about these days is the lack of wrestling that actually goes on inside a wrestling ring! It seems to me more and more that the word wrestling is used to describe what are really more gymnastics and tumbling than wrestling. I hope that I am not one of those old guys who sees everything through rose tinted glasses, and always thinks things were better in his day. But truthfully, I do believe that we did do a lot more wrestling in years gone by, and far less gymnastics. When I started in the pro rings you had to be able to wrestle. If you could not, then the old boys ripped you apart. Even if you could wrestle you got a pasting night after night, until such a time that you could deal with the old guys 1:1. When you gained their respect they eased off, and believe me, that was a day to celebrate! In my early career I arrived at a venue expecting to get my arse kicked, and most often it was. I went home at night aching, often with an injury, and sometimes bleeding! But that WAS wrestling in the old days. You had to be able to wrestle to survive. As much as I admire the acrobatics of today's younger wrestlers, I find it hard to see much wrestling going on inside the ring. In the old days you either had to know a wrestler, or go through the amateur path to get into the pro game. Now, alas, it seems as if you just have to buy a pair of wrestling boots (and in many cases not even real wrestling boots!) and get your chance in a ring. I really do wonder how many of today's top British wrestlers can actually wrestle, in the real sense of the meaning. How many could get through a 20 or 30 minute bout with the likes of: Ray Steel, Keith Martinelli, John Palin, Terry Rudge, Johnny Palance, Bo Bo Matu, Little Prince, King Ben, Tally Ho Kaye, Syd Cooper, Pete Roberts, Les Kellett, etc, etc. I actually doubt many of today's "stars" even know many of those I have named. But believe me, those guys could do the job. Keith Martinelli was not known as "Blood Boots" for nothing! Even at my age, and being far from fit, I'd back myself to have a shoot with many of today's top names, and come out on top. Because I could, and can, Wrestle.......I'm not even certain that many of them will even understand the term "shoot"! Well, that's my soapbox rant for today. But I'd be interested in how many followers of the blog think along the same lines as I do....So please, let's have your feedback. Below are a few guys from the old days who could wrestle: Danny Collins, Clive Myers, Alan Kilby & Mal Sanders. I have also listed a modern wrestler, Owen Phoenix, as I understand this guy now visits Japan. Now unless the Japanese wrestlers have also gone soft, this guy must be able to look after himself as japan used to be a graveyard for those who could not....Just ask Keith Heyward!

No comments:

Post a Comment